Monday, October 3, 2011

A Whole New World

This August marked the beginning of a whole new world for me. As of now, both children are in school full time...Makenna now in 3rd grade and Noah, the baby, has started Kindergarten. Obviously, I knew this day would soon come. There was no way of stopping it. I've had very mixed emotions about it and even now that they have been in school for a full month or more, I still find myself wavering. There was a part of me that didn't want to face that the little one is growing up, yet there were days I couldn't wait for school to start so that I could get some peace around here for more than 10 minutes at a time.


I cried for three days before the first day of school. Becuase I'm used to Makenna being gone now, I was thinking that maybe I wouldn't be a ball of tears on the first day. Even as we walked both kiddos into the building, I still hadn't shed a tear. That is, until we were getting ready to leave Noah's classroom. Poor little buy burst into tears as we sat him down at his desk. I was torn. I knew the best thing to do was to leave and he'd be okay in about five minutes. We've had previous experience with this method in pre-school and it worked out fine. Both mom and Noah made it through. Then there was the part of me that was thinking, "Just get me a chair and I'm gonna sit right here with him all day." This, of course, was not an option.


I am pleased to report that both are doing well. They both have great teachers and Noah seems to be enjoying himself. As for me, there are times I'm still not sure what to do with myself. Fortunately, I am able to work from home and this gives me more time to sit down and get things accomplished, uninterrupted. The first few weeks, I did find myself looking at the clock around 11:00 a.m. and thinking I had to get ready to go pick Noah up from pre-school. And then I'd realize that wasn't the case. He'd be home with Sissy on the bus in a few hours. I'm able to sit down and eat my lunch and watch my Y&R without having to clean messy hands or referee the dogs so that they don't steal someone's PB&J.


I'm definitely getting used to it, but as I said, it sure is a whole new world.



First Day of School 2011-2012


No comments: