Wednesday, June 25, 2008

K-4 Has Come and Gone




Makenna had the great privilege of attending K-4 at Simpsonville First Baptist CDC this past school year. I was somewhat on the fence about enrolling her in K-4 for two basic reasons...I didn't attend K-4 and I think I turned out okay...and, secondly, and most selfishly...I didn't want her to leave me. I knew once she started K-4, that was it. Her school career has now begun. As a stay-at-home mom, I was just so used to her being with me 24/7. But, then I thought, she would probably really enjoy it and there just happened to be one spot left open, so I jumped on it. I am so glad I did.

Makenna is a little social butterfly and hit it off with all of her classmates from the very beginning. She met Alanna, now her best friend, at Open House and they have been like glue ever since. It also didn't take her long to come home and proclaim, "I have a boyfriend." To our surprise, it wasn't just one boyfriend, it was two boyfriends...twins Corey and Caleb. Her teachers were Mrs. Kim Gendreau and Mrs. Cheryl Inabinet, whom Makenna fell in love with immediately. We couldn't have asked for two more dedicated and loving people to be her first teachers.

The school year flew by and was filled with all sorts of fun things from Dad's night to numerous field trips and Mother's Day Brunch. I was also amazed at how much she learned in such a short time.

A few weeks ago, at the end of May, the school year culminated with her K-4 Graduation ceremony followed the next day by a play date at Pump It Up and then a pizza party in the classroom back at school. I found myself in tears more that week that I had in a long time. Even as I sit here typing this now, I find myself becoming a little teary-eyed remembering all of the fun things Makenna got to be a part of. Not only had Makenna become attached to her friends and teachers, but I think I did as well. I am so excited for Makenna to experience all of the things to come in "big girl kindergarten", but sad at the same time to leave behind all of those we had become so fond of over the last year.

Thank you so much to Mrs. Gendreau and Mrs. Cheryl and all of those at SFBCDC for making the beginning of Makenna's school career a time that she will remember for years to come.

No comments: