Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Makenna's 1st Trip to Disney



We are serious Disney people. Keith and I have been on several trips, both as a couple and together with my parents. It is hard to describe the feeling you get when you enter the Magic Kingdom through the tunnel under the railroad station and there at the end of Main Street USA stands Cinderella Castle. It takes my breath away every single time. This time, however, was even more magical then I could have ever imagined. Because I've been visiting WDW since I was a kid, I am pretty familiar with the place. In fact, I don't even need a park map when visiting. This was different. Seeing Disney World through the eyes of a child, especially your child, is something so magical, I can't even put it into words.

Makenna had just turned two years old in the fall of 2004. Keith and I packed up the car, strapped Makenna in her car seat, met up with my parents, picked up my sister, and away we go. This was a total family affair. We drove part way and stopped at a hotel right at the Georgia/Florida line, and then resumed the final 2 1/2 hours the next morning. This was my first time staying at a Walt Disney World property and I was psyched. We chose Port Orleans Riverside, and I am so glad we did. The property is absolutely beautiful...reminiscent of the Gone With The Wind era complete with Antebellum-style buildings where the hotel rooms were. Staying on property is also something we will do from now on. The sheer convenience of having a food court at the hotel and the bus transportation to all of the theme parks makes it worth while. Also, the weather this time of year (mid-November) was perfect. We couldn't have asked for better. I think it may have only rained one time and that happened to be during time that we were watching a show. We were able to visit Magic Kingdom, Epcot, MGM Studios and Animal Kingdom a number of times during our week visit.

Makenna only had maybe one or two major meltdowns. Other than that, she was absolutely perfect. The first full day of touring, we purchased small Mickey and Minnie figurines that she carried with her during the entire trip. This worked out so great, becuase it kept her occupied in lines and during break times. These two figurines are sitting on a shelf in her room to this day. We also rented a buggy instead of taking our stroller. They are made such that she could get in and out at her leisure, whether she wanted to walk or ride.

We had no trouble with her while waiting in lines. During this time of year, lines are generally not very long, so that was a definite plus. I do have to mention, though, that Makenna's favorite ride was not in an actual park. It tickles me so much that her favorite ride was the bus to and from the hotel. The child was up at 6:00 every morning wanting to know when we were going to get on the bus.

As far as rides in the parks, she loved everything she was big enough to ride, which was just about everything. Dumbo was her very favorite and she even got Nana to ride it with her. I have to say, that was no small feat on Makenna's part.

She was so great with the characters and I so enjoyed watching her watch the characters, the shows, the parades, everything. There was more than one occasion I would find myself tearing up just watching the pure joy and excitement on her face. To her, the characters, especially the princesses, were the real deal. It just doesn't get any better than that.

One morning, Keith and I decided to take Makenna to Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary Resort for their breakfast buffet. During breakfast, Mickey, Minnie, Chip, Dale and Pluto would all come around to visit each table. Makenna was absolutely beside herself and I didn't think we were going to be able to contain her excitement. I really do not know who had more fun during that meal, Makenna or Keith and I watching her. What was so great about Makenna is that she knew to wait her turn. During breakfast, when the characters would reach the table beside us, she knew to wait until they were done. That doesn't mean she wasn't jumping up and down like a crazy child, but at least she wasn't cutting in on other's time.

All in all, this was a great trip. I actually kept a journal during our trip and I wrote down everything that happened almost minute to minute, but I didn't feel as though I needed to rehash that here. A lot of people think others are crazy for taking a child that young because they won't remember it. I don't feel like that matters. We have tons of pictures that she can look back on for years to come and I have memories of her that will stay with me forever.

No comments: