Thursday, July 24, 2008

When I Grow Up...

Well, it has finally happened. Our Makenna has now declared what she is going to be when she grows up. Ready...wait for it..."cake maker."

Yes, it is true. Last night Makenna announced to me that she wants to be a cake maker when she grows up and that she wants to be on the cake maker shows on TV. You're probably wondering how in the world she came up with this. Well, I guess it all really started when she was about three years old. This is when she really started to want to help out in the kitchen. We would let her do a few things here and there, but the whole cake thing really began to manifest itself when she saw a picture of a Strawberry Shortcake birthday cake in a magazine. She let me know in no uncertain terms that she wanted that cake for her 3rd birthday. Now, this was no ordinary Wal-Mart sheet cake, mind you. This was one of those fancy three tier, stacked, covered in fondant and all sorts of decoration type cake. Well, not wanting to dissapoint, I decided, with the help of Nana, of course, that we would attempt to make this cake. How hard could it be, right? I had all of the instructions in the back of the magazine and bought all of the tools necessary. Little did I know what I was getting into. I thought this cake was literally going to drive me crazy, but hey, it was for my little girl. It took almost three days to make the silly thing and we were even putting the last touches on it as people were coming in for her party. Nana and I have made a pact to never let her forget that cake.

I guess the cake interest has just really grown from there. She and I have started a ritual where we will sit down together and watch the Food Network Challenges on the Food Network. This is where the "cake maker on TV" thing came from. In fact, last night, we watched as four cake designers designed cakes inspired by the Cirque de Soliel "La Nouba" show at Walt Disney World. She watches these things and the look on her face is pure fascination. We've also seen the Disney Princess cakes, Disney Villians cakes and the Pixar cakes. She just loves it. If this is what she wants to do, I'm all for it. Do you know what those cakes cost nowadays?

Here are a few pictures of our chef in the making. Notice the attire.



No comments: